|The Monster That Challenged the World|
|Directed by||Arnold Laven|
Jules V. Levy
David Duncan (story)|
|Music by||Heinz Roemheld|
|Cinematography||John D. Faure|
|Editing by||Lester White|
|Distributed by||United Artists|
June 1957 |
December 22, 1960
|Running time||83 minutes|
The Monster That Challenged the World (1957) is a science-fiction monster movie, about an army of giant mollusks that emerge from the Salton Sea, California. Directed by Arnold Laven, the film starred Tim Holt and Audrey Dalton.
It was produced by Gramercy Pictures (not related to the former PolyGram division) and released by United Artists. The film is currently available on DVD as part of UA sister Metro-Goldwyn Mayer's Midnight Movies collection.
An earthquake has led to the hatching of eggs belonging to a prehistoric mollusk. The hatchlings emerge from the Salton Sea, escape into an underground aquifer, and proceed to terrorize the citizens of California's Imperial Valley. The navy is called in to battle these monsters. Navy Lieutenant Commander John Twillinger (Holt), teams up with several scientists to battle the threat.
- The film was inspired by the true story of prehistoric brine shrimp eggs that were reconstituted after several million years.
- The original title for the film was The Jagged Edge.
- The bulk of the underwater scenes were shot off the coast of Los Angeles, at Catalina Island; the close-ups were filmed later, in a tank filled with water and plastic seaweed.
- Some of the film's music was later reused in the English version of King Kong vs. Godzilla.
- Tim Holt (Lt. Cmdr. John 'Twill' Twillinger)
- Audrey Dalton (Gail MacKenzie)
- Hans Conried (Dr. Jess Rogers)
- Harlan Warde (Lt. Robert 'Clem' Clemens)
- Max Showalter (Dr. Tad Johns)
- Mimi Gibson (Sandy MacKenzie)
- Gordon Jones (Sheriff Josh Peters)
- Marjorie Stapp (Connie Blake)
- Dennis McCarthy (George Blake)
- Barbara Darrow (Jody Simms)
- Robert Beneveds (Seaman Morty Beatty)
- Charles Herbert (Boy with Morty's Cap)
- The Monster That Challenged the World at the Internet Movie Database
- The Monster That Challenged the World at the TCM Movie Database
- Original soundtrack album released by Monstrous Movie Music